- On Saturday May 26,2012 at 0751 hours members of the Wyomissing Police Department responded to the Metro Bank at 2101 State Hill Road Wyomissing, Berks County, Pennsylvania for a report of a robbery that just occurred.
- Investigators learned that a white male suspect entered the bank at approximately 0746 hours and approached the teller, Victim#1. at the teller line. The suspect was described as a middle-aged male with white baseball hat. He kept his left hand on which he was wearing a white latex-type glove, behind his back as he approached the counter. The suspect handed Victim#1 a handwritten note demanding cash and an empty white envelope. No weapon was displayed. The suspect exited the bank through the same door he entered and walked to a parked vehicle on the North side of the building.
- A second employee, Witness#1. stated that she observed the suspect’s vehicle leave the scene. Witness #1 described the vehicle as a 2000’s, sliver Chevrolet Malibu-type vehicle. She described the license plate on the rear of the vehicle as being somewhat yellow in color, like a wildlife-type tag.
- Upon examining the footage, the suspect appeared to be a white, middle-aged male, wearing a gray t-shirt, gray pants, black sneakers with white on the soles, sunglasses, and a white baseball cap with a red and black logo.
- Based on information obtained from the demand note, I contacted Metro Bank security officer Mary DISHONG and asked her to search for additional surveillance footage.
- On May 30, 2012 I was contacted by DISHONG who informed me they isolated footage of a subject who entered the Metro Bank at 2101 State Hill Rd. on Friday 05/25112 at 1848hrs. This subject used the ATM in the vestibule to check his account balance. He was identified as Abner BELK of 305 Laurel Ridge Rd apt #13, Reinholds. Berks County, PA – date of birth 05/19/1961. His appearance was similar to that of the suspect.
- The manager of the apartment unit where BELK resides related that BELK drives a silver Chevrolet Cobalt and works at Homewood Suites in Spring Township.
- Wyomissing PD Criminal Investigator George BELL and I checked Homewood Suites and found a 2007 silver Chevrolet Cobalt bearing Pennsylvania registration WR0354B, which is registered to Abner BELK 305 Laurel Ridge Road Apt. 13 Reinholds, Pa. 17569. The registration plate is a Wildlife Resources plate.
- On June 05, 2012, your affiant received a search warrant for the Metro Bank account records pertaining to BELK’s accounts. I learned that BELK made three cash deposits after the robbery (05/26/12 at 1103hrs, 05/31/12, and 06/01/12) .
- Also included in these records were copies of handwritten checks for his account. Wyomissing PD Sgt. William. Roecker, who is trained in questioned document examinations, compared the demand note presented by the suspect at the time of the robbery to the handwriting on the checks for BELK’s account. Sgt. Roecker preliminarily concluded that there are similarities between the samples and the demand note.
- On ‘June 07, 2012, your affiant obtained a search warrant for BELK’s apartment. Found during that search were several gray t-shirts, gray pants, black sneakers with white on the soles, and a white envelope containing cash.
- BELK voluntarily agreed to speak with investigators during the search of his apartment. He was transported to the Wyomissing Police Department by Criminal Investigator George Bell and I. BELK signed a notification of non-arrest form at 1835hrs. During the interview, BELK informed us that he committed the Metro Bank robbery on 05/26/12.
- BELK was read his Miranda Rights at 1859hrs. He waived his rights and provided investigators with a signed question-and-answer statement detailing the robbery.
- Based on the information received and investigation conducted, I ask that a warrant of arrest be issued for Abner BELK.
Original document can be downloaded here.
Current status of the case can be viewed here.